YGOPro Name : Thanako

DN Name : Thanako

Dueling Points : 520

Skill Points : 00
BT Record : 0-0
Events Count : -1 Events Won.
[Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon Empty

PostSubject: [Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon [Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 8:34 am#1

Can it Work? #1
~ Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon ~

[Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon 20141220_911f5f

DARK, Level 2, Zombie/Tuner/Effect
"If your opponent controls a monster and you control no other monsters: You can target 1 Fusion Monster in your Graveyard; banish both that target and this card, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck whose Level equals the total Levels of the banished monsters. You cannot Special Summon monsters the turn you activate this effect, except Dragon-Type monsters. You can only use this effect of "Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon" once per turn"

。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。

Welcome, Guest. This new series will be called as "Can It Work?". The overall goal is to look at cards that little to nobody uses, or is expected to use. Some rare gems, or perhaps some really bad cards. There will be a major attempt to try and find both the positive and negative aspects of cards that for some reason or another were either deemed bad, or just were completely forgotten when released alongside other cards that got a lot of hype, publicity and general approval from the community at large. While none of the cards looked at would be considered worth using at the time of posting in a tiered deck, you may come to find some sweet surprises, or something that you may have considered using in the future that really wasn't worth the consideration at all.

。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。

Strengths

• A really remarkable effect, should you be able to pull it off.
  • Benefits from DARK support, giving it a lot of compliments: Beelze, Allure of Darkness, ect.
  • Low base stats allow it to skip a lot of cards that are designed to hinder stronger monsters.
  • Cards such as Zombie Master or Call of the Haunted allow for multiple Synchro summons in a turn.
  • You don't need to use the effect to Synchro Summon wit it.
  • Like Plaguespreader Zombie, there is a lot of merit in a zombie deck for being a level 2 tuner.

Weaknesses

• Significantly nerfed from the original manga effect.
  • Limited targets in limited situations.
  • You need a deck built around this card in particular to actually use it to the fullest advantage.
  • Consistency issues with the effect itself.
  • The stats leave a lot to be desired, you'd run over next to no monsters with it. 

In Action

[Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon 6OJXTFR

This was actually a very difficult deck to construct, and it took a lot of insight. I decided that to best make use of it, that you'd need HERO and some dragon support thrown in. It may look a mess at first sight, but it's created a lot of surprisingly good games. The absolute ease of summoning Dragonecro coupled with some HERO support that helps speed up your fusions makes for a very special sort of team. But we aren't exactly judging the fun factor, so much as the usability of Charon. After struggling through three separate builds, and finally forming this one, I decided to give some blind test duels. In the worst of the 10 test duels, I opened my duel with a brick hand, but I did manage to nab a win using Number 39: Utopia Beyond. However, my best duel did feature Charon as MVP, but not for the reason you may suspect.

In my duels, I only once used Charon's effect, even if the deck was built around it. It's come to my attention through some experience that this effect is meant as a last resort sort of play, as only one duel of the 10 actually used it. Speaking through this deck alone, I can vouch that Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon can actually be a duel's MVP, but it doesn't seem to be a frequent occurrence. It is no surprise that there is little hype around this card, since in the end it is a glorified level 2 Tuner. With that said, I am thankful that a card like this was made, as it helped me broaden my horizons as a duelist and experience a new combo I wouldn't have otherwise.

Conclusion

I can not in good faith recommend this card for its effect, however, it is a great effect. You just will almost never use it. Should you want to make a deck based around the concept of the card, however, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised with how nice the results can be, if you really push for it. This card has a lot going for it, being a Tuner that welcomes Fusions. I'm sure that there is a really awesome way to make a deck for this guy that I completely missed (it can potentially work in Shaddolls, for example), but even still. You're almost always going to use this card as a Tuner. Can it work? Yes, but not how it is supposed to. The adaptation from the manga took too much away, and added too many limitations to make it viable, even if it can make for an inspiring fun deck experience.
Back to top Go down
LoudFist

Events Organizer

LoudFist

Custom Title : blank

YGOPro Name : LoudFist

DN Name : LoudFist

Dueling Points : 4665

Skill Points : 398
BT Record : 52-59
Events Count : 5 Events Won.

PostSubject: Re: [Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon [Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 3:57 pm#2

I like this series =]
about the card it's a good effect but sadly it has far too many restrictions for it to be really useful.
-no monsters you control.
-can't special summon except dragon monsters.
-doesn't synchro summon.

It would be nice if maybe in the future you included the replays from your testing.
Back to top Go down
RsS

Admin

RsS

Custom Title : Cakes Emperor

YGOPro Name : RsS.YuGi

DN Name : RsS.YuGi

Dueling Points : 16.445

Skill Points : 378
BT Record : 10-0
Events Count : 10

PostSubject: Re: [Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon [Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 6:27 pm#3

Great writing Thanako, I like the whole thing. 
As for the card, I honestly have no idea, this's the first time seeing this card. 
I like your build and what you tried achieving in. I might try out this card in somewhat a fun deck after all. xD
Back to top Go down
http://www.resurrectionacademy.org
Thanako

Teacher

Thanako

YGOPro Name : Thanako

DN Name : Thanako

Dueling Points : 520

Skill Points : 00
BT Record : 0-0
Events Count : -1 Events Won.

PostSubject: Re: [Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon [Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 6:33 pm#4

LoudFist wrote:

It would be nice if maybe in the future you included the replays from your testing.

This is actually a fantastic idea, I will be sure to do that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

[Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon Empty[Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon Empty

PostSubject: Re: [Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon [Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon Empty#5

Back to top Go down

[Can It Work?] Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1