YGOPro Name : Thanako

DN Name : Thanako

Dueling Points : 520

Skill Points : 00
BT Record : 0-0
Events Count : -1 Events Won.
The Gusto Archetype - Analysis  Empty

PostSubject: The Gusto Archetype - Analysis The Gusto Archetype - Analysis  EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 8:26 pm#1

The Gusto Archetype - Analysis  5299751627920i

Who the heck are you and why can you tell me this!?

Gusto: a deck people love to underestimate. With many simply awkward cards, hard to understand rulings, a harsh learning curve, few strong monsters, and having long since been forgotten in the long line of terrible WIND decks, what little play these lovely birds see is usually done by inexperienced people trying to use a psychic engine, horrible techs, and redundant discard outlets for Griffin together. It's extremely bad to see, and I feel sorry for the deck as a whole for being so underrated and forgotten. But that's what I'm here for! I'm going to be a little brutal with my babies, and constructive with all of the cards, and later add in how the different deck variants work. I've made at this point 40+ Gusto decks, so let's see if I can't use my knowledge for something good.

The Gusto archetype consists entirely of 19 Monster Cards, 2 Spell Cards (1 kind of counts), and 3 Trap Cards. Of these monsters, 4 are tuners, with 9 non-tuners. There are 2 XYZs that see a lot of play, as well as 4 Synchros. I'll do a run-down of the cards, of course.

Winda, Priestess of Gusto
WIND / Psychic / Level 2 / 1000 ATK / 400 DEF
When this card is destroyed by battle with an opponent's attacking monster and sent to your Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Gusto" Tuner monster from your Deck.

The first thing to mention is that this card is the only of the core 3 recruiters that can't abuse Creature Swap. To counter that, this card, along with Thunbolt, are the only two cards in which can pull out Egul to continue the recruiter loop. Keep that in mind. I'm one of those people who swears by three, even though the new crowd only likes to run 2.

Kamui, Hope of Gusto
WIND / Psychic / Level 2 / 200 ATK / 1000 DEF
FLIP: Special Summon 1 "Gusto" Tuner from your Deck.

Isn't he cute. Not as androgynous as Effect Veiler, but still worth mentioning. Flip effects are some of the slowest in the game, but this effect can be extremely powerful, if he survives, which he probably won't. This is a card I personally run 2 of. It's honestly a terrible card in many respects, since the entire purpose is to try and Synchro/Xyz with it, but more often than not you won't find it possible due to the meager stats. Most of the time he's just fueling the grave, and being a boss recruiter. I can't give you a number on him, but I wouldn't run more than 2.

Reeze, Whirlwind of Gusto
WIND / Psychic / Level 5 / 1900 ATK / 1400 DEF
Once per turn: You can return 1 card from your hand to the bottom of the Deck to target 1 monster your opponent controls and 1 face-up "Gusto" monster you control; switch control of both monsters.

I feel for you Reeze. A wonderful effect and a wonderful reusable Creature Swap. It's the format that's at fault here. This card has every kind of hate going against it. The -1 is a cost. With all the factors going against her, and her weak stats, it would be a miracle if you could actually get her effect to go off at all. I hate to say it but stay away from this card.

Windaar, Sage of Gusto
WIND / Psychic / Level 6 / 2000 ATK / 1000 DEF
When this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can target 1 Level 3 or lower "Gusto" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position.

.Creature Swap your Gulldos, Ram into it with Windaar and summon both Egul and Winda due to YGO's policy on SEGOC. Your opponent just gave you a free monster, and you can now make Trishula. But in all seriousness, this is a fairly situational card. I'd only use 1. That's hard for me to say personally since I'm used to maining 2. This format hurts the big Gustos.

Gusto Egul
WIND / Winged-Beast / Tuner / Level 1 / 200 ATK / 400 DEF
When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower non-Tuner "Gusto" monster from your Deck.

Another recruiter. This card tutors every non-tuner in the deck, except Reeze and Windaar. This card is why you run 3 Creature Swap. This card will go into Caam or Winda almost 100% of the time. Caam makes you plus, and potentially go into Lighting Chidori. Run 3 or you're doing it wrong.

Gusto Gulldo
WIND / Winged-Beast / Tuner / Level 3 / 500 ATK / 500 DEF
When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 2 or lower "Gusto" monster from your Deck.

This is the best searcher. I love this card. Yes, it missing the timing. You have your choices with your recruiters and this is the card you want to be destroyed last, 90% of the time. This card toolboxes every other searcher except for Thunbolt, and depending on your hand this card being destroyed (Or staying, even) is what ends games. One of the most balanced power cards in a deck I've ever seen. Always run 3.

Gusto Falco
WIND / Winged-Beast / Tuner / Level 2 / 600 ATK / 1400 DEF
When this face-up card on the field is sent to the Graveyard, except by battle: You can Special Summon 1 "Gusto" monster from your Deck in face-down Defense Position.

.The boss monsters for Gusto are level 5, 6, and 7. The best monster is level 6, and the best monsters are level 4. So naturally, some of the worst tuners in existence are the level 2 tuners for Gusto. Goodness how times have changed, I run this over Squirro simply because the searches are more powerful with this card, and it can be strategically summoned via Kamui. I'd run 2 at most. 

Gusto Squirro
WIND / Thunder / Tuner / Level 2 / 0 ATK / 1800 DEF
When this card is destroyed by a card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 5 or higher "Gusto" monster from your Deck.

This is the best defense in a Gusto card. All I can say for it. It can be summoned by Kamui and be a decent wall. But it searches two cards, both of which are losing their place due to how the formats work. This is unacceptable. I feel really bad for this card, I really do. I have to say that at this point in time to never use this card.

Gusto Griffin
WIND / Winged-Beast / Level 2 / 800 ATK / 300 DEF
If this card is sent from the hand to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Gusto" monster from your Deck. The effect of "Gusto Grif" can only be used once per turn.

It's the best searcher since Stratos, but it doesn't work in pure decks. If you're using Tempest Gusto, run 3. If you're using Dragunity Gusto, run 2. If you're using anything else weep and imagine what could have been.

Caam, Serenity of Gusto
WIND / Psychic / Level 4 / 1700 ATK / 1100 DEF
Once per turn: You can shuffle 2 "Gusto" monsters from your Graveyard into the Main Deck; draw 1 card.

The pot of avarice pseudo-beater and overall go-to card of the deck. The flaw is the ATK is kind of low, but all things considered it's a very powerful card. This card is so powerful that Mind Master was banned for abusing it in Exodia decks. Which is good, Exodia decks are for scrubs. Awhile ago I'd say that say that nobody runs 3, but now I'd say doing it is not so uncommon. It has flourished whereas the higher level cards have suffered. If you make a Gusto deck without this card you are honestly an idiot.

Musto, Oracle of Gusto
WIND / Psychic / Level 4 / 1800 ATK / 900 DEF
Once per turn: you can target 1 "Gusto" monster in your Graveyard and 1 face-up monster on the field; shuffle the first target into the Deck, and if you do, negate the second target's effects until the End Phase.

I hated this card, honestly. It had to grow on me. Thunder King going to 2 really boosted the major weakness of this card, and it can off itself and that Kycoo that's in your way. Use at least 1, if using a non-variant.

Gusto Codor
WIND / Winged-Beast / Level 3 / 1000 ATK / 400 DEF
When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 WIND Psychic-Type monster with 1500 or less DEF from your Deck.

Remember when I said plus 3's were common? This guy is one of those factors, too. Creature Swap makes this cutie viable. Being level 3 makes it perfect for Sphreezing, but the only downfalls are these pathetic stats and that you can only choose a psychic. (Read as, anything in the pure build but a tuner or another Codor, plus Genomix Fighter). The card has abysmal stats, unfortunately.

Gusto Thunbolt
WIND / Thunder / Level 4 / 1500 ATK / 1200 DEF
At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card is in the Graveyard because it was destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard this turn: You can banish 1 "Gusto" monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 WIND Psychic-Type monster with 1500 or less DEF from your Deck.

This is a misunderstood card. I'm beginning to use it a lot more, what with it being a Lightning Chidori target. But it's a strange searcher, and fortunately can search for any psychic-Gusto card, or Genomix Fighter. I'd run 2 at most, but this is another preference card.

Moving on to the Synchros. They're all good in some respects, but leave room for other cards too.

Daigusto Falcos
WIND / Psychic / Level 4 / 1400 ATK / 1200 DEF
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner "Gusto" monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned: All "Gusto" monsters currently on the field gain 600 ATK.

Love this card. You really don't need it, it honestly defeats the entire purpose of the deck. But it can make Lightning Chidori. Don't count on main decking Black and White Wave. This is a rather bad card overall, but it can do reasonably enough if you've got out a Eguls. I run 1 as a keepsake. Don't run 2 or more unless you're really wanting to make a beater gusto deck.

Daigusto Gulldos
WIND / Psychic / Level 5 / 2200 ATK / 800 DEF
Once per turn: You can shuffle 2 "Gusto" monsters from your Graveyard into the Main Deck to target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; destroy that target.

Here it is. The other card that returns for a cost. But as a parallel to Caam, this card is a -1 for your opponent, rather than a plus for yourself. Once again, a cost for it to return, making it easily used under Skill Drain and Necrovalley, but limiting what it can return to the main deck. Love this card, would run 3 if I had the space. I honestly suggest 2, but you can get away with 1 if you want. There is no excuse to run 0.

Daigusto Sphreez
WIND / Psychic / Level 6 / 2000 ATK / 1300 DEF
When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can target 1 "Gusto" card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand. Your opponent takes any Battle Damage you would take from battles involving a face-up "Gusto" monster you control. This card cannot be destroyed by battle.

This is the card. I still hear the tears and tormenting cries of my opponents. This card nets you a plus of any Gusto card. Yes, a card including the traps and one of the spells. (More on that later) The second effect is why this card is feared, and why Winda is awkwardly worded. This card turns your little birds into kamakazi's, while your opponent takes all of the damage. If you haven't used your normal summon, just pull back a Gulldo from the grave, and attack head on with it, pull an Egul, and then pull a Kamui. This card maintains a field presence, and shifts the entire tide of the duel. Your opponent is now on the defensive. Bam. Some people disregard the effect, leaving to hilarity when they charge into your Egul or Sphreez herself. Never run less than 1. You will regret not witnessing the endless hilarity.

Daigusto Eguls
WIND / Psychic / Level 7 / 2600 ATK / 1800 DEF
Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can banish 1 WIND monster from your Graveyard to target 1 face-down card your opponent controls; destroy that target.

A card that requires thought and patience. So most people think it sucks. If you use the effect always and on everything, you're killing your engine and your opponent has probably caught on. They're most likely setting baits for you to screw yourself over with. An extremely powerful utility, but I'd be extremely careful and patient with it. Much like Tempest, hitting the wrong card can be a huge regret later on. Run 0-1.

Xyz will be added later.

Contact with Gusto
Normal Spell
Target 2 "Gusto" monsters in your Graveyard and 1 card your opponent controls; shuffle both targets in your Graveyard into the Deck, then destroy the opponent's target.

This is what makes up for a lot of the deck's inconsistencies. It pops problem cards. It shuffles into the deck. It can be pulled back by Sphreez. Not a cost, so the good news is that you can return Synchros. Very useful. Somewhat recyclable. There's really not much more to say than that. Run 2. If you opt not to run it, you're not running a pure build.

Quill Pen of Gulldos
Normal Spell
Target 2 WIND monsters in your Graveyard and 1 card on the field; shuffle both of those first 2 targets into your Deck and return the other to the hand.

The parallel card to Contact. Side this one for those problem cards that are unable to be destroyed. It's a great choice, but it isn't "technically" a Gusto support. That's why I'd say side it, but you can run 1 or 2 if you prefer it over Contact. Once again, not a cost, so you can return to the extra deck. Another plus is you can return that Chidori your opponent used Dark Hole on. Not being specific to Gusto cards can work in it's favor, after all.

Dust Storm of Gusto
Normal Trap
Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects when a "Gusto" monster(s) you control declares an attack this turn..

I think most people know how I feel about this abomination. It looks like a good card? Well it's not, I'm sorry. Since for most of the duel you're passive, this is usually a dead draw. Moreover, it only stops cards and effects that activate at attack deceleration. It isn't worded so well as Star Eater. The flaws of this card are so prominent. Please just trust me on this one and avoid it.

Whirlwind of Gusto
Normal Trap
If you control no monsters: Target 2 "Gusto" monsters in your graveyard; shuffle both targets into the Deck, then Special Summon 1 "Gusto" monster with 1000 DEF or less from your deck.

Dead draw 90% of the time. The other trap outclasses this one in every way.

Blessings for Gusto
Normal Trap
Target 2 "Gusto" monsters in your Graveyard, plus a third "Gusto" monster in your Graveyard; shuffle both of the first 2 targets into your Deck, then Special Summon the third target.

Actually pretty useful. But not efficient. It's almost as cool as  Call of the Haunted or Limit Reverse which don't require the numbers this one does. So yeah, I'd avoid it whenever possible.

I've gone over the cards, but this is an archetype that depends upon what people are comfortable with. I can't give a conclusive score, this I'd give a 10/10 to. Many others would give it a 1/10, but that's the issue. The game is different for everyone.

Overall Score: 1-10/10
Back to top Go down
LoudFist

Events Organizer

LoudFist

Custom Title : blank

YGOPro Name : LoudFist

DN Name : LoudFist

Dueling Points : 4665

Skill Points : 398
BT Record : 52-59
Events Count : 5 Events Won.

PostSubject: Re: The Gusto Archetype - Analysis The Gusto Archetype - Analysis  EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 9:34 pm#2

I always liked the forest kids with the little birds. Being synchro based and (mostly) wind at the same time fits to my preferences. I wasn't quite familiar with the rulings when i first tried them with a pure build and struggled with them, plus it was when Harpies were running wild so chidori kept bouncing my recruiters -.- so i overlooked. but a tempest build looks solid so i'd like to give it a go.

Good thread and great analysis would be nicer if pics were included but overall I like it. Grading after testing (hopefully)
Back to top Go down
Thanako

Teacher

Thanako

YGOPro Name : Thanako

DN Name : Thanako

Dueling Points : 520

Skill Points : 00
BT Record : 0-0
Events Count : -1 Events Won.

PostSubject: Re: The Gusto Archetype - Analysis The Gusto Archetype - Analysis  EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 11:11 pm#3

It's not QUITE done yet.
Back to top Go down

The Gusto Archetype - Analysis  EmptyThe Gusto Archetype - Analysis  Empty

PostSubject: Re: The Gusto Archetype - Analysis The Gusto Archetype - Analysis  EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 2:04 pm#4

Always loved gustos , i made a gusto madolche deck and it was solid, you should try ^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Gusto Archetype - Analysis  EmptyThe Gusto Archetype - Analysis  Empty

PostSubject: Re: The Gusto Archetype - Analysis The Gusto Archetype - Analysis  Empty#5

Back to top Go down

The Gusto Archetype - Analysis

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1