YGOPro Name : Thanako

DN Name : Thanako

Dueling Points : 520

Skill Points : 00
BT Record : 0-0
Events Count : -1 Events Won.
30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako Empty

PostSubject: 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:24 am#1

30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge!

So, I've never much been one for using the same decks in every duels. I've always had a creative touch when it comes to dueling and deckbuilding, and I've come up with quite the fun challenge to those of us who share in my love for creative design and deckbuilding!

The rules are simple, but if you want to play along yourself, you needn't follow them to the same degree that I do.

1. You can't make two decks that are essentially the same thing. No E-HERO and then Masked HERO.
  2. Try to be creative! I will be doing my best to avoid generic archetype decks, I will be sure to mix it up and try to take ideas that nobody would ever even think of and make them work.
  3. The deck in general should be 40 cards, with an Extra Deck (unless you are running some variant of Monarchs that only works without one). Side decking is not necessary.
  4. The current format must be used, but OCG-only cards are welcome.
  5. In addition, some of the later decks may use the OCG list for me. I am just as much an avid player of the OCG as I am the TCG.

Ultimately you may make of this what you will if you are interested. Try out some new decks, without a need to do all 30 days if you can't do it. Nobody will think any less of you, and it will surely be just as fun. If you think it something you'd enjoy, go ahead and join in! But, if it isn't your thing, find something that you would find fun.

Day 1 Archive
Day 2 Archive
Day 3 Archive

With the addition of a new section dedicated to supporting the 30 Day Challenge, I will be remaking several threads for prior days. With that said, the posts here will remain for archival purposes. There will be no base for accusations regarding cheating down the line. Thank you for your continued support to this point.

Last edited by Thanako on Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:37 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Thanako

Teacher

Thanako

PostSubject: Re: 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:50 am#2

Day 1 - Empowered, Symphonic Odd-Eyed Noble Knights

30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako CTlgjkE

-----------------------

Okay, so this one is quite the mouthful. That, and upon first impression this may seem like an absolutely crazy deck idea. Crazy enough to have inspired this whole challenge? But let's look a bit closer into what makes this work. Ultimately the deck boils down to options, and special summons. Many of the cards are built around the idea of being able to set off a combo, to the extent that it might look cluttered. Cards like Merlin, Empowered Armory, Symphonic Warrior Guitaars, Last Chapter of the Noble Knights, and even Unknown Synchron are given usability in Special Summoning a much-needed monster to get your combos started off right. Tzolkin is another fantastic option, since lots of the times you will get an opportunity to get him out with proper utilization of Accel Synchron. Naturally, we have a lot of usability with the Noble Knight engine itself, with Borz still creating a lot of fun opportunities.

Ultimately this is a TCG deck built around an OCG mindset. You see, in the TCG players typically want to have their ideal opening hand, or at very least many ways to get to that sort of hand/field presence, while in the OCG the best offense is considered having a variety of cards that all play off of one another. I wanted to create my first deck as such. If this is your first introduction into such a thing, I apologize if you interpret this deck to be incoherent. However, it would be difficult to truly judge it without trying it, or similar ideas out for yourself. Give it a go, if you like.
Back to top Go down
W.O.P.i.E

Kuriboh Brown

W.O.P.i.E

Custom Title : RDA's Guardian

YGOPro Name : W.O.P.i.E

Dueling Points : 250

Skill Points : 05
BT Record : 0-30
Events Count : 0 Events Won.

PostSubject: Re: 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:01 pm#3

29 days left
Back to top Go down
Thanako

Teacher

Thanako

PostSubject: Re: 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 4:21 am#4

Day 2 - Zombie Lightsworn Bujins

30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako ZF2JR8p

-----------------------

I'm pretty sure that everyone here has heard me harp on Bujins for a long time, and for good reason. This is probably the most repetitive deck I've ever had the displeasure of playing against. A part of me knew that I would eventually find myself trying to make a decent deck that used Bujins without being completely useless or boring, formulaic, and something that goes against the nature of what I am doing this for. The zombie engine helps to make the deck a bit less monotonous, giving such fantastic options as Unizombie to help with milling and other essential play that shows just how much Chain will be missed.

Another thing that's been getting a lot of talk is Lightsworns. What with their fantastic Xyz boss being a prize card that very few people will get for a very long time, despite the long wait to get them at all... Ultimately with an engine that relies a good bit on both banishing and grave presence, what else is there to use but Lightsworns? These engines do all compliment each other in theory, and so I decided to mesh them together, here will be their test. Under normal circumstances the Bujin Pendulum Monster is utter garbage, but I hoped also to try and give an angle to the deck that compliments it.

A varied Extra Deck is always essential, and I think that if I ever really invested in a Side Deck for this one, I'd put a lot of effort into some Extra Deck support to compliment the siding process. I don't know if I am completely satisfied with the Extra Deck side of things, but I will admit that today has been pretty hectic for me, and that's the one area I simply didn't have time to polish. It's about 23:20 right now, so I don't have the time to fully debate with myself what would make it perfect. Apologies if anyone finds this area unsatisfactory, but I will revisit this deck in particular after the 30 day challenge.

...Only 28 more unique decks to go! What could possibly go wrong?
Back to top Go down
Thanako

Teacher

Thanako

PostSubject: Re: 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 7:25 pm#5

Day 3 - Newly Unboxed Friends

30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako XYSmpAf

-----------------------

Today will be my first time using one of the recently-added Proxy cards that Dueling Network has. Did you notice them? I didn't, at first, but it is genius. To avoid confusion, this time the only proxy card used is a recently added Normal Monster, PSYFrame Driver. It really isn't much that's so special, but what matters is that it is a Normal Monster, and another valid level 6 target.

It has been a good while since Box of Friends came out, and I personally never really saw much use for them. Most people decided it would be just another mechanic for spamming Xyz Monsters, and only very rarely using the card that compliments it. With that aside, I actually hated PSYFrames at a first glance, until I realized this little combo using Driver. But let's look a bit closer. Hieratics, a deck that's once hated and now left in ruins also uses an engine of level 6, one that actually enjoys summoning Normal Monsters when used as a tribute. I couldn't resist but to combine these two basic ideas together, with a few twists.

Yeah, I've already used Odd-Eyes as a fusion engine, but it really just adds spice to a lot of fun ideas that don't complete an entire deck on their own, or those that need just a few more options in tight situations. These cards are ultimately good to draw in most circumstances, and just are a fun, easily splashable engine that I recommend trying out. In this circumstance it really just makes for a lot of fun. The Lone Igknight might make you cringe, but it is another target for Box of Friends and just in general is a pretty good card with a good scale. Having it in scale with Trump Witch actually opens the avenue for Pendulum Summoning. A couple of Empowered cards simply add searching and other misc support, such as that tiny boost that could push for game.

Eccentric Archfiend Archfiend Eccentrick is probably one of my all-time favorites when it comes to Pendulum Monsters. In a perfect world, it can pop 2 cards during the turn you have it in hand, and be a consistent threat to your opponent's monsters for the remainder of the duel. It has ultimately saved me in countless duels, and it is probably a card you will be seeing here a lot.
Back to top Go down
Thanako

Teacher

Thanako

PostSubject: Re: 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 7:31 pm#6

With the addition of a new section dedicated to supporting the 30 Day Challenge, I will be remaking several threads for prior days. With that said, the posts here will remain for archival purposes. There will be no base for accusations regarding cheating down the line. Thank you for your continued support to this point, and I will see you elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako Empty30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako Empty

PostSubject: Re: 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako 30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako Empty#7

Back to top Go down

30 Day Deckbuilding Challenge - Thanako

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1